COVID Booking Conditions

Posted on November 24, 2020

Information accurate as at 24th November 2020
Applicable for bookings made from 1st November 2020

The Ski Company is an agent and so, whereas we do not manage the property you stay in, it is our job to help you make a choice and to make sure that you are very well looked after before, during and after your holiday. In times like these, the most important aspect of this is making sure you feel you are booking with confidence. And so we want to provide unrivalled flexibility in the event that there is a change in your holiday plans ...

If, on your scheduled arrival date, there is an international travel ban in place OR the ski resort is closed OR the French Government requires travellers to quarantine on arrival, The Ski Company will cancel your holiday.

If, more than 45 days before your arrival scheduled arrival date, you no longer wish to travel for whatever reason, you can cancel your holiday.

In either event, you will have the following three options:

POSTPONEMENT
Roll your booking forward to another week in the same apartment complex but later in 2020/ 21 season or in the 2021/ 22 season. If the price of the new booking is higher than the price of the original booking, you will be required to pay the difference. If the price of the new booking is lower than the price of the original booking, you will be refunded the difference.

GET CREDIT
If finding another week later in the same season or next season is not possible, The Ski Company can issue you with a credit note.

MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
If postponing or taking a credit note is not reassuring you even with the prospect of discounted Ski Company holidays for life (see below), we will refund your money. You can take a full refund of 100% of monies paid or you can take a partial refund of 75% of monies paid, leaving the remaining 25% as a credit with The Ski Company.

A LIFETIME OF DISCOUNTED SKI HOLIDAYS!
If your holiday is cancelled by The Ski Company or if you decide to cancel your holiday and you opt to postpone or take a credit note or a partial refund (75%), you will qualify for ***lifetime membership*** of The Ski Company discount scheme ... this qualifies you for a 5% discount for holidays with The Ski Company for life! Unfortunately, membership of The Ski Company discount scheme would not apply if you take a 100% cash refund.

FAQs

"I’M IN TIER 3 THOUGH ..."
Your holiday can still go ahead if the UK is out of lockdown and back in its ‘Tier system’. Although it is not recommended, people in Tier 3 areas are permitted to travel abroad. It’s your decision though ... you can still postpone, take a credit note or a partial/ full refund.

www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/389892

"WHAT ABOUT FCDO ADVICE?"
The purpose of FCO travel advice is to provide information and advice to help British nationals make their own informed decisions about foreign travel and so your holiday can still go ahead if the FCDO continues to advise against all-but-essential travel. Again, it’s your decision though ... you can still postpone, take a credit note or a partial/ full refund.

TO INSURE OR NOT TO INSURE?
INSURE ... ! It is highly recommend that you take out comprehensive travel & medical insurance for every member of your party as soon as you book. There are insurance providers who will offer you a policy that covers travel & winter sports even if you are travelling against FCDO advice.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/travel-insurance-against-foreign-office-advice/


Booking conditions applicable for bookings made from 1st November 2020

Apartments

Want to find out what others think? Read Our Reviews